Sunday 8 January 2012

Eggless Date and Walnut cake

                                    Eggless Date and Walnut Cake

Here is a recipe that is a favourite with my son and everyone in the family. A perfect one for winters, this was the first cake I learnt ,around 9 years back.Thanks to my friend Chanchal who taught me how to bake cakes.


Here goes the recipe-
You’d require 200g of deseeded dates. Soak them overnight in milk, just enough to cover all the dates . Now seive 2 cups flour with 2 teaspoons full of Baking soda ( Sodium Bicarbonate ). Add 1/2 a cup of coarsely crushed walnuts to the flour mix. You can add more dry fruits if you like. In a separate bowl, whisk together 1 cup of sugar and 1/2 a cup of regular cooking oil( you can also use butter, but I prefer cooking oil as it is lighter on the heart !) Add to it the date and milk mixture ( you’ll have to blend it beforehand). Now fold in the flour and walnut mix. The batter has to be of dropping consistency, you can add a little lukewarm milk if it is stiff. Put it in a baking dish and bake for about an hour at 150 F.

Tada...you're ready with the cake. Shall be posting an excellent recipe for homemade brownies shortly, so keep in touch !!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Priya,

    I love this recipe. Its my fav too. Just that I make it banana and walnut cake. I mash the bananas and mix them at the end.
    Yummmmmy!!!

    ReplyDelete